Tuesday, March 22, 2011
What is WITH my breadmaking??
So I had the fantastic idea to make bierocks last night. A classic Giger favorite and certainly one of the Matt Phillip family favs. I mixed up the dough for the buns and seriously, I feel like I must be yeast product handicapped. I used warm water to activate the yeast, I even put my kitchen aid mixer bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds to ensure it didn't cool off the water! I mixed all the ingredients VERY carefully and the dough looked perfect. I was pumped. Here's the real frustrating part.
I have an extremely cold kitchen. It's drafty and NOT ideal for bread to proof. So on a suggestion from my mom, I quickly turned on the oven for 30 seconds to get it warm and placed the bread with a west cloth over it in the oven so it would have a warm, draft free area to rise. An hour later it had risen a little but certainly not double the size. This is the THIRD TIME I have messed up bread! I'm soooo frustrated! And angry, and annoyed and baffled. What am I doing wrong??? I put the dough in the fridge over night and I'm going to still try and assemble the bierocks and see how the bread tastes but I'm afraid it will be tough and flat. My mother is a brilliant bread baker. I want to be able to do this! I know it isn't rocket science. Any suggestions? Anyone? Bueller? Can I overcome this embarrassing problem? Is there such thing as a bread tutor? One of these days... Needless to say the Phillips had leftovers last night and bierocks may not be in our future. That is unless I go against Giger code and BUY roll dough for them. *GASP.
Terrifically Tortured Tuesday to all of you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Is your kitchen aid bowl metal? I never get my bread to raise well in a metal bowl. I usually turn the oven on to warm and open the door and set the bowl on the door, rotating it randomly and turning down the stove if it feels too warm. But metal bowls never work for me.
ReplyDelete