Friday, November 5, 2010

The big freeze.

It's supposed to freeze for the first time this year tonight down in these parts.



















It's time to bust out the fuzzy slippers and actually turn on the heat. Ok, so we've had it on for 2 days. Coming from KS and Chicago, we are AMAZED that this is just now occurring. It's also time to begin the Christmas wish list. Oh yes. The time is upon us dear ones. As soon as Halloween is over, stores completely skip any sort of Thanksgiving and go straight for the money maker. Deck the Halls and all that jazz.
Matt and I don't have much in the way of Christmas decor. So of course it's been my hobby of late to gaze longingly at magazines and blogs that feature completely adorable and beautiful Christmas themes.
Taking votes now on the theme I should go for:

Snowmen. My sister in law does a lot of Snowmen around her house and it's frankly adorable. I suppose I shouldn't copy but it's just so darn cute.











 Nativity Scenes. My Grandma Peach collected and displayed Nativities. I wonder where they all are? Anyway, there tons of cute ones out there. Tis the reason for the season. However, a more expensive option.






Angels we have heard on high. Really beautiful stuff out there. Lots of colors. Yes? No?















 Snowflakes. Beautiful. You can do lots of variations with this. White, silver, colors, basically anything. Since we don't get much snow around here perhaps this would make the house a bit more winterish. It just isn't Christmas without snow :)













Christmas Trees. Technically, if I do trees, I could have all the above themes on different ones! Ha, that wouldn't be expensive AT ALL.

















So, if you have a spare moment, vote for what I should begin as the Phillip house theme for Christmas. I'll let everyone know what is decided. The other eternal debate for us is real vs. fake Christmas tree. Matt insists real is the ONLY option. I say fake, you spend the money ONCE and that's it. Also, no mess. Amen.
Sounds like we will be bickering about this for awhile...Anyway! I hope everyone is jumping into the holiday spirit! I won't forget to be thankful this month because Thanksgiving IS important. However, I will be Christmas shopping early as tis time to hit the sales. Huzzah.

Kara

8 comments:

  1. I say snowmen or snowflakes. I do love the threes though too....
    Blast - that's hard!

    I think the snowflakes would be adorable AND you could get a bunch of brilliant stuff from Etsy! no matter which route you go!
    MWAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we are doing a REAL tree this year. That is not up for debate. As for the house decor....I'll say Angels with Nativity scenes a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until you are established in a home where you will be for a while, storing a fake tree is the pits. I would opt for real this year! Have you considered Nutcrackers? Just had to throw the proverbial wrench....lol Whatever you choose is GREAT cause it will be changed up in 5 yrs anyway...At least that is what happens around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many good ideas. The ones that aren't strictly Christmas can stay up longer. But leaving the Christ out of Christmas doesn't seem right. How about Gma Peach's nativities, and one of the others?
    We've always had a real tree and love them. But have had trouble the last couple of years keeping them fresh. One year we had to take the tree down bc it was soo dry and get another one. Maybe make a tradition to go cut one together?
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for fake tree - go ahead and spring for a good one and then.....I've had all of the above in my 40+ years of marriage! sigh. Sometimes all at once including nutcrackers. I believe simple is the best. Just some real greenery (to satisfy Matt) and whatever thrown in with - old fashioned santa's/dolls/kind of an old fashioned Christmas theme...could include angels as well. Real fruit!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Kara, I'm in my brother's corner for the tree debate--nothing beats a real tree! Joel always had fake trees growing up but we've had real trees since we've been married and he's taken a liking to them. Plus, you can't beat that fresh pine smell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I think that any of the themes will be beautiful. I say whichever you find more stuff that you love, go with that.

    As for trees.... I was always a real tree person. We ALWAYS had a real tree growing up. However, we've had a fake one for the entirety of our marriage, and I have to say it's been nice. I love to decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. And if you put a real tree up that soon, it will probably dry out and create a fire hazard (not to mention get brown and ucky). We make up for the fake tree by burning cedar scented candles...

    ReplyDelete