Monday, December 6, 2010

My Favorite Time of Year

"Christmas time is here, happiness and cheer, fun for all the children call their favorite time of year."
-Christmas Time is Here, Charlie Brown Christmas

While I cannot be classified as a child any longer according to my chronological clock, time reverts in this season. I'm 8 years old for a solid month and a half. There is a genuine magic feeling about Christmas that I just can't describe. Maybe the Lord saw fit that all humans should be wired to act kindly and lovingly toward their fellow man if only for a short while in December. The traditions, the cold weather, the MUSIC. Ahhh. I am a bundle of reminiscent goo today and that means I get to slop some of that goo into your laps for enjoyment. You're welcome.
In no particular order....

1) Eloise at Christmastime by Kay Thompson. My Grandma Giger used to read this book to me over and over again. Eloise is this darling little girl that lives at the Plaza Hotel in NYC. She uses fantastic words like trinkles, scibbles, and drinkles. She has a dog named Weenie and turtle named Skiperdee. I wanted to be her every time I heard it. Sing fa la la la lolly...if you haven't heard of this or read it, do yourself a favor. However, don't rent the recent movie. A movie version of this classic cannot replace the imagination. Go old school, dust of those spectacles and read it.















2) Egg Nog. Holy fatty deliciousness. I keep a carton of this stuff in the fridge all December long. Who cares that it's a billion calories per glass? I'll have two thank you.

3) Scented candles. Matt and I enjoy the cinnamon/spice variations. Lit all over the house all the time (well except when we're not at home, safety first children!). It doesn't quite replace sniffing fresh gingersnaps at Grandma's but it's the best we can do. It's delightful to come home to the warmth of tree lights and spices in the air (especially if you remembered to take out the trash...).

4) Caroling. Oh yes. Caroling. If I was sure that I wouldn't be egged, I would go door to door in my entire neighborhood and spread my cheer hither and yon. Matt's family has a great tradition of going to a local nursing home to spend time with the folks there. I joined the party last year and had a fantastic time belting the classics through the sterile halls. Thank goodness they're all tone deaf.




















5) Luke Chapter 2. My dad reads the Christmas story each year from Luke. "And it came to pass in those days that there went out a decree  from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed..." This is by far the favorite version of Christ's birth of all the gospels. Perhaps because Luke was a physician. I love hearing his (dad's, not Luke's) rich reading voice giving us those scriptures that we have essentially memorized. To picture angels in the heavens above the shepherds singing Gloria! Peace on Earth, goodwill to men give me goosebumps.

6) Decorations. There are times I fear I will become THAT house decorator on the block. You know, the ones that could land jet liners in their driveway? Griswold fashion? I feel the need to go overboard so often. I definitely reigned myself in this year and I'm quite proud.

7) The Nutcracker Ballet. Oh MY. I have been enamored by this ballet since I was 7. I remember going for the first time to see it in Kansas City and being glued. That following February my Grandpa and Grandma Peach bought me a Nutcracker. I still have it and it is so precious to me. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy...need I say more??? Go see it this year.




















8) The Little Drummer Boy and The 12 Days of Christmas. Of course, I love ALL the classics but these are especially dear. These were my Grandma Peach's favorite Christmas songs. She was a drummer in high school. She always clapped off beat at church and I could never understand why until I was older. Pa rum pum pum and geese a laying...always make me think of her. Grandma, I know you're there in heaven drumming away as the 13th drummer just for Him. *sniff

9) Snow. While we aren't exactly in the epicenter of snowfall here in Nashvegas, we DID have our first snow this weekend. AND it's snowing as I type this. YAY! This is the kind of snow that blows around and never accumulates thus making for beautiful scenery yet safe for driving. The perfect combination!

10) Gifts. I know, it's the giving not the getting. Pssh yeah right. My want list is so long it's embarrassing. PS, I really am this skinny....



Here's to enjoying all YOUR favorite traditions this year!!!

Kara

4 comments:

  1. I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEE THE NUTCRACKER! I was just playing Pandora Christmas Classics yesterday while reading in my Galations and the SugarPlum Fairy song came on. I got all tingly inside, I couldn't help myself. Oh the years I saw Nutcracker downtown KC. I love it SO much. Its probably at the top of my list. Thanks for this little recap. You brought an element of joy to my Christmas cheers today!
    mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and I should sing Christmas carols at Thanksmas this year! I miss caroling SO MUCH! If anyone needs an extra reason to go to church during the Advent season, it's singing the Christmas hymns. *sigh* I miss Voices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. Caroling it is Lou! You got it! I miss voices too!

    ReplyDelete