Now that Thanksgiving has officially passed, Matt finally caved to mornings filled with Christmas music, evenings of Christmas music, and any trip in the car filled with....yes...Christmas music. Give me Bing, Frank, Nat, Burl, Johnny, and Gene and I'm a happy human. Love is not quite the word I would use for the feelings I have for Holiday tunes. More of an obsessive need. Nothing can quite capture the pure titillation I experience when I hear Julie Andrews belt Joy to the World. Nothing gets that tear in my eye quite like Charlie Brown choosing the tree that needs a little love.
Speaking of choosing a tree...this is my very first year as a REAL Christmas tree owner. Boy, isn't this the year of firsts? First (and last) marriage, first trip overseas, first time living with a dude, first time away for Thanksgiving, and yes, first real tree. I'm sure there are more...but let us continue. Matt and I decided this week that Christmas decorating in THIS Phillip household will have it's own tradition. So, we kicked off decorating with homemade bread bowls full of cheesy ham and potato soup. Delic! Topped off with pumpkin spice muffins and hot toddies. Perfection. Our bellies full, it was time to decorate!
I wish I would have captured on film the struggle of hauling the net bound eight footer from atop the Sentra through the living room and being wrestled into the tree stand. Wow. I am still picking sap out from under my fingernails. Had I actually grabbed the camera, I'd still be holding it right now. If I complained earlier about having a dirty floor, at least all the needles make it smell like a nice mess. Once the screws were in place to hold the tree in place, it was time to cut off the netting. I had visions of Christmas Vacation as Chevy cuts the rope away from the tree and thus a total destruction of the living room commences as branches fling every which way. A quick prayer, a slice with the Fiskars and VOILA! Frasier Fir tree extraordinaire! It's a beauty. Perfect shape, full, and just the right height.
 |
| Ain't it purdy!? | | | | | | |
|
|
A few more pictures to avid viewers on how extra creative I am with decorating (not really).
 |
| Ornaments on the mantel |
 |
| The mantel |
 |
| Above the cabinets |
 |
| Close up of some of our ornaments |
 |
| You know what taught me to make this bow? 39284729387 bows that had to be made for my wedding. Aye carumba! |
 |
| Matt's stocking. Mine is exactly the same except with a....you guessed it...a K. |
All in all, it was a great evening. We he so much fun decorating together. In a previous
post I displayed a picture of my parents from 1972 on their first Christmas as a married couple. Matt and I lamely attempted to recreate that moment. Hopefully, in 39 years, we will recall how equally adorable we looked!
It's not quite the same, however, you get the idea. And so, the Phillips jump headlong into a season of merriment and eating beans because all spare change is headed toward gifts. Let us all remember that Christ's birth is the reason for this joyous Season! Not Happy Holidays, not Seasons Greetings.....MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Kara
In 39 years your children will be making fun of your holey jeans. Geez!!
ReplyDeleteSuper cute post! I'm sure your house is adorable!!
Love the decorations! You're so creative :)
ReplyDelete